After some players and staffers with the Miami Marlins tested positive for COVID-19, the 2020 season is in danger. The season could be shut down due to fears of coronavirus and as a way to avoid the spread of the virus. However, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred has chimed in, stating that the Marlins’ outbreak does not represent a “nightmare” and that the games can go on. Not everyone would agree.
Marlins Outbreak Not A Nightmare
The panorama of the baseball league is not promising, and the league has a valid reason to be worried about its players, coaches and all personnel. 14 players and staff members of Marlins tested positive. The statistics are good enough for making a final decision; if they want to continue despite the consequences or shut down the season while they look for a better choice.
Although there is now an outbreak of coronavirus in this team, Manfred believes it is not yet enough to consider cancelling the season. On the same matter, the commissioner showed up on MLB Network and said he had previously stated that there would be positive cases of the virus at a certain point. According to him, a testing plan was implemented in order to handle such incidents like that of the Marlins, which has triggered deep concerns.
Commissioner Manfred Weighs In
Manfred also said of the Marlins situation, “I don’t put this in the nightmare category. We don’t want any player to get exposed. It’s not a positive thing, but I don’t see it as a nightmare. We built the protocols to allow us to continue to play. That’s why we have the expanded rosters. That’s why we have the expanded pools of additional players. We think we can keep people safe and continue to play.”
For some MLB officials Manfred’s position is questionable because he is neglecting the league crisis and high risks behind that. However, Manfred he might be right in regard to the possibility of some players getting infected. So, MLB will wait a few more days to see if the cases of COVID-19 keep on increasing.
Nevertheless, it seems that some policies haven’t been followed in the right way. Even though three Marlins’ players tested positive for coronavirus, the team decided to play their games in Philadelphia where they ended up in quarantine and isolated. This decision brought serious concerns that MLB’s guidelines were not taken cautiously. The season started less than a week ago, and there’s little doubt that this is going to be the only crisis affecting the 2020 season.
Dr. Fauci Throws His Latest Opinion Onto The Field
Maybe it is too soon to decide on shutting down the season. The outbreak among the Marlins’ players is quite serious, but it does not mean the nightmare situatrion that all the members involved in the league will test positive. Dr. Anthony Fauci spoke to CNN on Monday and said, “This is one of the things that could put a halt in the progression of where you’re going through the season.” He added, “Hopefully, they’ll be able to continue and hopefully this is an outlier that such a cluster of the players and personnel got infected.”
Big efforts were taken to make the 2020 season a reality, and strict safety guidelines were implemented, as well. So, it doesn’t make sense to proceed and cancel the season at once. MLB officials need to wait a little more and remind teams involved that they need to adhere to the plans and policies in order to avoid more cases of COVID-19
The Marlins-Orioles games and the Phillies-Yankees games have already been postponed because of the appearance of the coronavirus in the league. They won’t be played until test results are revealed, but the damage has already been done. If the situation escalates, MLB could decide to shut down the entire season.