If you’ve been itching for sports to start again, this is your weekend. Not only did Bundesliga return in Germany, and NASCAR in Darlington, but the TaylorMade Driving Relief skins match means that golf is back this weekend.
Golf Is Back with Skins Match
That’s right, you will get your first opportunity to bet on PGA Tour players in a televised competition this Sunday (2 p.m. ET, NBC). Rory McIlroy and Dustin Johnson will team up against Rickie Fowler and Matthew Wolff in a charitable event for COVID-19 relief efforts at Seminole Golf Club.
This will be a skins match, which should make it all the more fun, and from a gambling perspective, wide open. But, when it comes to betting, you want to make sure you know the rules. Betting 101, right?
Most of this will be pretty standard if you play golf, but there will be a lot of people that tune in just because they are starving for live sports or want to gamble on whatever is on. Either way, we got you covered. To familiarize them with the match format and rules, we break it down for you.
To keep it simple, two-man teams will play Four-Ball under Rule 23 of the USGA rules. Each player will play a separate ball. Each team’s score for a hole is the lower score from the two partners.
The team of Rory McIlroy-Dustin Johnson will play for the American Nurses Foundation. The team of Rickie Fowler-Matthew Wolff will play for the CDC Foundation. Each team will start with $500,000 in the bank.
Each hole will be worth a Skin and in the event of a tied hole, the Skin and money will carry over to the next hole. Here is the twist:
- Holes 1-6 will each be worth $50,000.
- Holes 7-15 will each be worth $100,000
- Hole 17 will be worth $200,000
- Hole 18 will be worth $500,000.
Last Skin Tiebreaker
- In the event that the 18th hole is tied and play ends before 5:45 p.m. the players will play the 17th hole (from approximately 125 yards). If that hole is tied, the players will play the 17th hole again and the skin will be decided by a closest to the hole competition (played from same shortened yardage).
- In the event that 18th hole ends after 5:45 p.m. there will be a closest to the hole on the 17th hole (from approximately 125 yards).
Both these scenarios will determine the remaining skins and money. Remember, all the money goes towards charity.
The winning team will be the team with the most amount of money in the Team Skins format.
In addition to the Skins Match, there will also be a competition for birdies and eagles.
- Birdies and Eagles are sponsored by Farmers Insurance. One team can make multiple under par scores on a hole and be rewarded. The values of these will start as following.
Birdie = $25,000
Eagle = $50,000
Hole-in-One or Double Eagle = $150,000
Now that you know the rules, let’s get down to the online betting aspect of this whole thing. The WestGate SuperBook’s Jeff Sherman posted the following lines on Twitter:
To Win the Most Money:
Rickie Fowler/Matthew Wolff +165
Rory McIlroy/Dustin Johnson -185
Rory and DJ come in as heavy favorites as golf is back. A ton of books have around the same price, but make sure you shop around. And, if you check out Sherman’s tweet, you’ll see the books also offer a ton of other betting options to wet your beak.
All in all, hopefully this is a fun and safe competition between these guys that raises a lot of money for a great cause. The event also gives you a chance to win some money gambling on some live sports again. Win, win for all!